We are always seeking volunteers for a variety of tasks. Some people help build Huts or Tent Platforms, some help with fundraising events, others help with office work like answering the phone and giving out applications and more. Maybe you have some way that you think might be helpful to give your own time!
If you are interested in getting involved, call or email the office using the link above, and book a space on one of our tours to get to know our programs.
Here is a list of our current volunteer needs:
Build Work Party Leaders
- Greet CSS volunteers and thanks them for participating in the day’s activities
- Inform volunteers of bathroom location, staying hydrated, snacks, etc.
- Ensures volunteers sign in and out at work parties
- Arranges water and snacks for volunteer work parties
Safe Spot Work Party Leaders
- Drives our Safe Spot campers to weekly work parties. (Must have valid driver’s license)
- Works with campers in an encouraging and uplifting way during the work parties
- Participates in work party activities
- Liaison between CSS Program Director and City Park Staff
Front Office Reception
- Greets visitors, answers the phone & provides information as needed
- Assists applicants with our Safe Spot Program
- Maintains log of vehicle reservations and mileage reports
- Accepts donations of goods for distribution to clients and applicants
- Help keep our workshop and office bathrooms clean
- Sweeping and cleaning the workshop and tools
- Vacuuming and sweeping office
- Washing dishes and putting them away
- Dusting, cobwebs and washing windows as needed
- 1-2 hours/week
Grant Writing Assistant
- Research, write and organize grants
- Keep a timeline of grants CSS is pursuing
- Assist in submitting grant reports
- Help with outreach at community events – Must have knowledge of CSS programs
- Help us with our Annual Benefit Dinner
- Assistance in preparation for events, pick up supplies, donations and food
- Occasional supply pickup & drop off, shopping for materials
- Must be able to lift and load lumber and other building materials
- Coordinates volunteers and their projects, tracking the sign-in/out sheets
Camp Donations Coordinator
- Help us keep all of our camper donations organized
- Received donations need to be sorted and organized into appropriate bins and containers
- Establish and maintain an inventory system
- Help keep the donation area tidy
- 6 -10 hours per month
- Help with lighting and other projects in our shop
- Minor repairs and maintenance of donated bicycles
Community Supported Shelters seeks a reliable and committed individual to take on the responsibilities of managing CSS workshop activities. This is a volunteer position, 10-20 hours per week.
- Organization of supplies, tools, and materials.
- Improving efficiency of shop storage, constructing shop infrastructure, as identified and needed.
- Minor repairs to C.S.S. work shop
- Ensure shop remains clean and tidy
- Create and maintain list of on-going shop needs, responsibilities, jobs, etc.
- Oversees safety within the woodshop, including setting safety standards and standard operating procedures, ensuring safe equipment, purchasing safety equipment, posting safety notices, and instructing and supervising users in the proper use of equipment
- Performs minor repairs in C.S.S. workshop, to include repair of desks and furniture, paint projects, installations and minor repairs
- Maintains and repairs various woodworking equipment and ensures that equipment is in good working condition and ready for use
- Purchases equipment and supplies for the shop
- Administers first aid if needed
- Performs related duties as required
Education and experience:
- High school graduation supplemented by completion of formal or practical vocational training or Associate’s degree or any equivalent combination of training and experience
- Four years woodworking and/or metal working and welding experience, including some supervisory experience
- Specific coursework/training/experience in woodworking and/or metal working techniques, shop safety, First Aid, and CPR.
- Inventory and scheduling management experience